Repairing a damaged or decayed tooth is often achieved with a custom-made dental crown. Our dentist can help you determine if receiving a tooth-shaped dental restoration is the best method to regain the use of your tooth. Our dental team is pleased to answer common questions about dental crowns and how they benefit your smile.
What are the uses of a dental crown?
One of the most versatile dental restorations, dental crowns can perform a number of oral health functions, including:
– Covering a tooth that is cosmetically flawed
– Completing the look of a dental implant
– Stopping breakage in a weak tooth
– Holding the pieces of a cracked tooth together
– Making a damaged tooth stronger
– Supporting a large dental filling that doesn’t have much tooth enamel
– Providing an anchor for a dental bridge
Does my dental crown require care?
Your dental crown can be treated like a natural tooth, but this means you need to maintain good oral hygiene to keep dental problems away. Your daily oral hygiene habits should include brushing your teeth, flossing and using an antibacterial mouthwash to rinse your mouth.
How long can a dental crown last?
Proper dental crown care helps these dental restorations last five to 15 years.
To learn more about dental crowns in Couer d'Alene, Idaho, and whether they are right for you, contact Scholes Family Dental at 208-667-1578 today for a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Michael Scholes.