Cavities, also commonly referred to as tooth decay, is a process in which harmful materials in your mouth break down your teeth by stripping away their tooth enamel. Without tooth enamel, teeth can become weak over time, and rot out completely. Do not let tooth decay destroy your teeth without fighting back. There are a plethora of preventative tools at your disposal that can be used to efficiently combat the effects of tooth decay.
Cavities can be prevented if you are willing to fight back. Here are some effective techniques to use in the battle against tooth decay:
– Mouthwash is good for rinsing away bad bacteria and food particles.
– Visit your dentist at Scholes Family Dental regularly for professional cleanings or oral exams.
– Make sure you practice proper etiquette with your brushing tactics including how you brush and how you care for your toothbrush.
– Floss once daily with ADA-approved dental floss or dentist recommended flossing tools.
– Avoid sticky candies, chewy snacks, or other foodstuffs that are difficult to wash away or remove from your teeth and gums.
– Brush your teeth twice daily with toothpaste that is ADA-approved or dentist recommended.
– After meals, chewing sugarless gum for at least 20 minutes has been shown to fight cavities.
As long as you take the necessary steps to protect yourself, cavities can be prevented. If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. Michael Scholes, please call our office at 208-667-1578. We are located in Couer d'Alene, Idaho. We look forward to making your oral health care for the new year the brightest one yet.